Individual Pages!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 11 2014

Writing Style Attempt: Prompt with a challenge to only write dialogue to convey two characters.


Prompt:
Write a scene showing a man and a woman arguing over the man’s friendship with a former girlfriend. Do not mention the girlfriend, the man, the woman, or the argument.

 

8:27am (home)

            “Hey. Hey.”

Jesus. Don’t scare me.

”’Hey’ is scaring you?”

“When I’m sleeping, yeah.”

“Where are the car keys?”

“Dresser?”

“Nope.”

“By the T.V.?”

“Nope.”

“Kitchen table?”

“Checked.”

“Black table thingy in the hall?”

“That is where they should be, but nope.”

“Babe, I dunno. I’m half asleep. Check again.”

“Are these the pants you wore yesterday?”

“Maybe.”

“There in the fucking pocket. Thanks a lot.”

8:34am

“Have a good day.”

“Runningfuckingla-ate.”

“Have a good day.”

“Love you too.”

 

3:49pm (via text)

Ugggh. It’s been so busy that I didn’t get a break until just now. How’s your day off?

 

3:53pm (via text)

Have you ever encountered a small, then after leaving said smell, continued to smell it throughout the day?

3:54pm (via text)

What are you up to?

4:49pm (via text)

Not much. Internet.

Where are the quarters for laundry?

Nvm. Found them.

Have you seen the Frosted Flakes?

We bought some last week, right?

5:50 (via text)

Cnt tlk wrking nw.

 

7:01pm (home)

            “We can just get something at Jake’s. I think they have happy hour till 8.

            “Whatever you want.”

 

7:46pm (diner)

            “I got sucked into an argument today about the validity of the Salem Witch Trials.

            “Like, did someone think they were valid?”

            “No, the burning at the stake. They weren’t burned they were hung.”

            “Oh. Right.”

            “The opinion of, ‘Well if it isn’t true then why would it be repeated throughout history is bull shit. Then I went back and forth for a while about religion again with someone, I hate and love that conversation.”

            “What kind of conversation?”

            “It just fucking irks me how people can believe in one thing generally and then not do their research. Even Atheists, they have this belief, there is no god, but then they also refuse to understand the validity of the existence of people who created the thing they don’t believe in.”

            “Right.”

            “I may not believe in it, but it still exists. I dunno. I may not agree with a lot of shit, but I can’t deny that, for example, L. Ron Hubbard inadvertently created a religion because someone who read his book felt like it was their own gospel.”

            “Or Jonestown.”

            “Yeah.”

            “Even Manson. A smattering of folks found him charismatic enough to kill for.”

            “Do I subscribe to what these people were shilling? No. Do I believe they existed and were influential? Yeah.”

            “Well, you couldn’t of subscribed, there wasn’t the internet yet –

- I deserve that silence coming from your side of the table.”

            “Where’s the salt?”

            “Sorry, I was hoarding it.”

            “Should’ve known. Very sneaky.”

            “So, who was this you were talking to?”

            “When?”

            “About the witches.”

            “Facebook friends, you know.”

            “Ah. And the religion? That was like a singular convo?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Who with?”

            “Just a friend.”

            “Cool.”

 

11:10pm (home)

           

“I haven’t seen your precious sugar flakes. I never see them because you eat them the second they get home from the store.”

            “I love a big bowl of Frosted Flakes. So what?”

            “So, they’re fucking probably gone already and you forgot. Or they’re under the bed, or behind the computer still open and too stale to eat anyway, just because you soaked them in milk for ten minutes, doesn’t make them more edible!”

            “I’d still eat them.”

            “EXACTLY!”

            “Are you mad at me?”

            “I’m gonna take a shower. Don’t wait up. I may also take some time and touch myself.”

 

5:14am (home)

“Is that you?”

“Hnh?”

“Are you awake?”

“Smishmamishma.”

“I can’t stop thinking about those stupid Frosted Flakes.”

“Youf oun dem?”

“Nevermind. Goodnoght.”

“Loff yeu too.”




-ClassyB

No comments:

Post a Comment